Honeydew Melon Protects Against Digestive Tracts and Cancers
Honeydew Melon a yellow-skinned melon in the shape of a rugby ball, with sweet, succulent, green to yellow white flesh. Honeydew is a popular fruit not just because of its delicious delicately sweet taste but also because of its many health benefits.
* Shape: slightly oval in shape and around 8 inches long
* Weight: 1.8 to 3.6 kg
* Rind/Skin: The rind very smooth and the color is greenish white when immature and creamy yellow when ripe.
* Flesh/ Edible portion: light green in color
It contains fruit sugar, soluble fibre, some vitamins (especially C) and minerals. It has a high fluid content and is low in calories.
Health benefits: It provides useful vitamin C, which is essential for health and has antioxidant properties. Contain plenty of water which keeps us hydrated. Soluble fibre helps to lower blood cholesterol levels and may protect against disease of the digestive tract, including cancer.
Its is usally eaten as its or as an ingredient of fruit salad. It is sometimes used as a garnish.
* Quality is determined by the honeydew having a nearly perfect round shape with a smooth surface free of defects.
* Honeydew should feel heavy for its size and have a waxy (not fuzzy) surface.
* The honeydew that weigh about 2.2kg, have creamy yellow stem ends that is slightly soft when pressed, are bound to be the sweetest and best tasting. Avoid melons that are as hard as bowling balls because its flesh is also hard. The hardness is maybe because it is picked too early.